I’ve been on a fabric bin kick lately, and I’ve tried out two free tutorials. I thought I’d post my critiques & modifications here. Discworld books are mass market paperback and added to show scale.
I made 2 of these with slight differences. The main one being that I was trying to use up leftover pieces of needle-punched batting, so I didn’t order the fusible fleece for these. Instead I pre-quilted 2 pieces with the batting. I also added different amounts of Pellon SF101 to each bin.
The pine tree & owl bin.
I switched the fleece to the lining. I lightly quilted it to the owl fabric. The pine trees got fused to SF101. The bin stands up very well when full, but it’s slightly floppy when empty. The handles are soft and floppy.
The woodland creature bin.
I used SF101 on all four body pieces and the handles. Then I lightly quilted the batting to the exterior pieces. As you can see from the pictures, this bin stands up very well even when empty. The handles also stick up which is great for grabbing them easily – not so great if you want to slide the bin into a cubby that is the height of the basket.
Overall, I like the size of this basket for storing books, lotions, cords, or other medium sized items. It works up easily and I would make it again. I found it to be a bit soft as written, and I definitely prefer with the added interfacing, but alternatively you could make it in a fabric that is heavier than quilting cotton.
The outer fabric on this one is a heavy quilting weight organic cotton. The lining is a very thin quilting cotton (it was a Joann Fabrics fat quarter). I had trouble getting the fold-over border to stay straight while I was sewing it.
Star of David
This one I added a pocket to before sewing the interior and exterior together. Both of the fabrics were a standard weight quilting cotton, and I had a much easier time with the border.
Overall, I like the size of this basket for a catch all bin – we use one of these in the hall for keys, coupons, scissors, pen, and tape (for opening packages and packaging things up for mailing). It works up very quickly, and I would make it again. It’s nicely stiff.
The trickiest thing about it is the finishing on the fold-over border. They key here is to not use a thinner quilting cotton, but a nice mid-weight or heavy quilting cotton.
I also recommend NOT using an oven mitt to protect your hand while pressing. You can get bad steam burns doing this. The method I used was to stuff the bin with folded hand towels until packed firmly, then drape a pressing cloth over the area I was working on before ironing.